Sunday, August 30, 2009

First "Business of Art" Class

Friday rolls around and I roll out of bed early enough to be in the classroom at least 20 minutes before the 9 a.m. start. I have read and printed a copy of the class syllabus from the City College website and I have brought a portfolio of my artwork like the Professor asked us to do.
I had a basic concern because I consider myself a 'fine artist' and I didn't want 'to sell out' by creating products to sell. I want to be recognized as a unique 'fine artist'.
I enjoy art history and biographies of artists. In my study of Art I have been taught to learn from other established artists. We all deal with the same problems of composition and have the same tools like lines, color, shapes. The way to grow as an artist for me involves combining solutions from the great artists with my subject matter and exploring art that way.
Can this Business of Art Class help me find a way to market my art?
Will it instead influence me to change my approach into making products I think will be sellable?

No comments:

Post a Comment